July 23- 29
Warbird Replicas 75% Corsair
The top of the center-section is complete and I made a set of cradles to hold the center section in the inverted position so I could finish the bottom. Shortly after getting home from AirVenture this year, I assembled all the sections using the new cradle. Talk about a feel good moment!
The center wing had undergone are design several time and I was not 100% sure that it would mate with the fuse with had not changed since it was originally drawn. To my surprise, it was nearly a perfect fit. Because the airfoil changed, the fuselage cradle (where the fuse meets the wing) will have to be handmade and then fed into the computer so I can reproduce the parts later.
I have held off on designing my own or attempting to build an exact replica, even though I now have the majority of all of the Vought and Goodyear prints. I’m still hoping to join-forces with Tony Pileggi to finish his design sometime in the future. I’m not in a hurry anyway because my first two Corsairs are sold as static displays and as displays the gear will not be needed.
Where I Am Now
Flipping the center wing sections was a slow process, but I managed to get everything in place safely. However, flipping the fuse has been…